As part of the Rockabilly Bash on Friday night, some of our registered competition teams are taking this opportunity to throw-down in an epic Grillin’ Beans challenge to find out who truly has the best beans to accompany great meatballs and BBQ, and it’s up to the people to decide who reigns supreme. To even the playing field, 40% of the vote will be blind judging by a panel of judges, and 60% by attendees.
All winners receive spotlight on the website and Facebook page along with serious bragging rights until next year!
Grillin’ Beans Challenge Prize Payouts
|Grillin’ Beans Champ||$75 Cash, $25 Lulu’s Gift Certificate & Custom Embroidered Apron|
|2nd Place||$50 Lulu’s Farm Gift Certificate|
|3rd Place||$25 Lulu’s Farm Gift Certificate|
You choose, your beans can be with or without meat; savory, spicy, sweet, or a combination of those—the choice is yours.
- Grillin’ Bean competitors must check in with prepared beans no later than 6:15 PM on Sept. 29th.
- What kind of beans uses is totally up to the cook, and they can be baked or made in a slow or pressure cooker, that’s up to you as well
- Beans must be contained onsite in a crockpot, pressure cooker, or roasting pan that can be plugged in to maintain the beans at the proper temperature (we will have plenty of power to plug in)
- In order to participate in the challenge, you must make a minimum of five to six quarts of beans to be served during the People’s Choice tasting/judging 7:00-7:45
- We will provide the sampling cups and spoons
- You must provide an ingredient list (not the actual recipe) so people with dietary issues/allergies can avoid tasting anything that may cause them problems
How the tasting and judging works:
To maintain an equitable competition, the judging will be weighted with 60% People’s Choice, and 40% blind judging by a select blind panel of 12 completely objective judges.
- You will have an official “turn-in” of 12 servings of beans from each entry for the blind judging due at 6:45 PM.
- People’s Choice Tasting, begins at 7:00 PM and runs until 7:45 PM when votes will be collected.
- During People’s Choice Tasting, you will collect two tokens per meatball and one token per 2 oz. serving of beans. Tokens are worth $1 each, purchased at the token table. At the end of the challenge you will cash the tokens in for a 50% payout.
- Attendees participating in the People’s Choice tasting will receive one meatball and one bean Vote Voucher for voting for their favorite. Those vouchers will be combined with the blind judge’s vote to determine the overall winner of each category.